Alma Vets's home page
  • Call our surgery01753 858893

Pet Travel

Find the new rules for pet travel

Here at Alma we are able to issue health declaration certificates if you're planning to travel abroad with your pets. Below are the current government guidelines regarding Pet Travel under the new Brexit rules.

We are happy to support you in anyway we can so please contact us on 01753 858893 if you need any assistance. Alternatively you can email us at and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Please visit GOV.UK for updated information on pet travel to Europe.

Please be advised that in order to export a pet to EU countries, the following preparations must be carried out, in the order shown below:
1) Pet is micro-chipped, then
2) Rabies vaccinated (pets must be at least 12 weeks old before they can be vaccinated against rabies for the purposes of Pet Travel).

21 days from the date of vaccination and with an Animal Health Certificate (available from a vet), the pet should be eligible for entry into EU countries.

For your reference, please be aware that DEFRA make no restrictions on the mode of transport or routes used, when exporting a pet from the UK to another country.

As a final check, you may wish to contact the relevant Embassy in GB to discuss any further lawful entry requirements. They can be located here.

Alternatively check for the destination’s specific requirements here.

For return to Great Britain

Dogs must be treated, by a vet, against tapeworms (Echinococcus multilocularis) no less than 24hrs and no more than 120hrs before expected arrival in UK, the details of which must be recorded on the Animal Health Certificate. For more information please follow this link.

Entry into GB must be via an authorised airline (from any airport, in any country) into GB airports on the airline’s existing RMOPs (Required Method of Operation), an approved ferry company or Eurotunnel Shuttle Service, Please follow this web-link for more information.

Pet owners are advised to check all proposed travel arrangements with the carrier (transport company), before booking the trip to GB as they may have their own additional conditions of travel. These conditions may include a health declaration for your pet.

Please be advised that the costs of travelling with a pet under the Pets Travel Scheme (PETS) are entirely a matter between the owner of the pet and the relative parties (vet, transport company, agent) over which Defra has no control. Therefore for information regarding costs you should contact your vet, chosen authorised transport company and the Animal Reception Centre (ARC) at the GB airport of landing (if applicable).

For further information on how to prepare your pet for export to the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), including listed countries, documentary requirements and approved routes and carriers, please follow this link.

If you have any further queries regarding travel documentation, vaccinations required please discuss this with the vet preparing your pet for travel.

An EU issued pet passport will remain accepted for travel between the GB and the EU after January 1st 2021, provided it remains valid.

Please be advised that a GB vet will no longer be able to update the EU issued pet passport, other than the tapeworm and clinical examination sections.

For updated guidance on pets traveling after the transition period please follow this link

Return to all services